The following provides a brief overview of the application process. Click here for a detailed application guide.
Step 1: Register for an account with MA Connect
- Visit the MA Connect website at https://www.maconnect.alberta.ca and login using your account information for the Builder’s Portal.
- If you do not have access to the Builder’s Portal, visit https://nhbpsapply.ma.gov.ab.ca/ to submit a New Home Buyer Protection System Access Request. Additional information on the Builder’s Portal can be found here.
Step 2: Fill out your builder profile
- You will be asked to provide company contact information which must align with provincial corporate registry (CORES). This includes:
- contact information for all directors and officers; and
- copies of driver’s licences or other government-issued photo identification acceptable to the Registrar for directors and officers.* Please do not provide your Social Insurance Number or Health Card Number.
- You will need to list all building-related associated organizations. This information must also align with the provincial corporate registry (CORES).
- The Detailed Application Guide provides more information on properly completing your builder profile.
Step 3: Fill out the licence application
- Part 1: Company Information tab - use the buttons to select the appropriate licence class (General Contractor or Developer).
- Part 2: Licence Application tab - provide responses to all items on the application questionnaire.
- Note that warranty backing is required before a builder licence can be issued.
- Remember to click on “Submit and Exit” to ensure that your application is submitted for processing.
Step 4: Pay for your application
- To ensure a correct application, you must click the “Pay” button in the top right corner of the application.
- You can either pay the $600 application fee online, or mail a cheque or money order along with the invoice. Your application will not be processed until payment is received.
- Renewal fees for future years will be $500.
Common Application Errors
- Not matching company officers within the Builder Profile with the names and information registered with provincial corporate registry (CORES).
- Not clicking “Submit and Exit” at the final screen. This means the application is saved in draft form and cannot be reviewed by Builder Licensing staff.
- Forgetting to hit the “Pay” button in the top right corner of the application.
New Home Buyer Protection Office – Municipal Affairs
Phone: (780) 424-5890