All residential builders in Alberta are required to have a builder licence in order to obtain permits for new homes and to construct new homes. You can apply for either a General Contractor or a Developer Licence depending on the types of homes you are building.
- Provisional Licences expire May 1, 2018 at which time you must have your Full Builder Licence in place in order to receive building permits.
- Builders are strongly encouraged to submit applications no later than March 31, 2018 to avoid processing delays that could impact their business.
- Improperly filled-out or late applications could result in you not receiving your licence in advance of May 1, 2018.
Who requires a builder licence?
If you build residential homes or your company sells newly built homes in Alberta, you require a builder licence. Renovators involved in substantial renovations where at least 75% of the footprint has changed also require a licence. Sub-trades are not required to have a builder licence as they are the responsibility of the builder.
There are two categories you can apply under. A company can hold one licence in each category:
- You will need this licence if you intend to build, manage the construction process, or build and sell, single-family homes or multiple-family dwellings up to four dwelling units. If you are building a 5+ unit townhouse project, you would need a developer licence.
- The Alberta Building Code does not require a coordinating registered professional (such as an engineer or an architect) for these buildings.
- A General Contractor can build large projects that fall under the Developer category if a Licensed Developer is overseeing the project.
- When the project requires the involvement of a coordinating registered professional as per the Alberta Building Code, the builder is required to have a developer licence.
- A developer licence typically includes homes that are five or more dwelling units.
* If you have any questions on which category applies to your company, please contact:
New Home Buyer Protection Office – Municipal Affairs