Advocacy at a Glance, Spring Conference, Awards Info
- Preventing double-taxation of Albertans.
- Ensuring proper stewardship of hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Limiting unnecessary spending.
- Encouraging private sector investment in job-creating projects.
- A cross-jurisdictional analysis of infrastructure financing alternatives.
- Analysis of the current off-site levy regime including proposed modifications to address existing challenges.
- Outline of costs, benefits, and drawbacks of any proposed solutions.
Builders' Lien Act, Reno Tax Credit, Off-Site Levies, Soft Lumber Update and more
Red Tape Reduction & Prompt Payment Updates, Webinars, New Policy & GR Director
- Removing unnecessary Building Code requirements
- Additional changes to the Off-Site Levies Regulation
- Removal of Off-Site Levies and Inclusionary Housing from City Charters
- Streamlining approvals Environmental and Transportation
Builders’ Lien Act & Prompt Payment
- Lengthening the 28-day prompt pay period to avoid unnecessary administrative burdens on member companies.
- Ensuring a proper prompt payment adjudication process that avoids frivolous claims.
- Establishing a system of progressive release of lien fund holdbacks to free up cash flow.
Advocacy Update, Builders' Lien Act Amendments & Holiday Wishes
December 22, 2020
Bill 48: Red Tape Reduction Implementation Act received third reading and Royal Assent on December 9th, solidifying substantial legislative changes that will save member companies millions of dollars while helping to preserve housing affordability. BILD Alberta originally submitted 29 Red Tape Reduction recommendations in October 2019. Since that time:
- 8 recommendations have been adopted by the Province;
- 17 remain under consideration or in progress; and
- 4 will not be going forward.
To better understand the progress made to-date and provide updates on other items, BILD Alberta has compiled a brief table with information on the status of each of the industry’s recommendations, including next steps where applicable.
COVID Restrictions, Bill 48, Builders' Lien Act Changes & Housing Reports
November 27, 2020
On November 16th, BILD Alberta was pleased to announce that several key advocacy priorities have been addressed by the Government of Alberta through Bill 48 – Red Tape Reduction Implementation Act. These positive changes are the result of years of advocacy work from BILD Alberta and member volunteers.
Read more about the key legislative changes included in this Bill and other recent legislative changes.
Prompt Payment, Advocacy Update & AGM
October 29, 2020
At last month's AGM, the baton was passed from outgoing Chair, Patrick Shaver, to newly appointed Chair, Paul Boskovich. Paul brings his 15-years of industry expertise to the BILD Alberta board. He is President of Genstar Development Company and looks forward to guiding a grassroots approach to serving members over his term.
Optimistic about what’s ahead for members in Alberta
October 24, 2020
In a recent interview with the Calgary Herald, BILD Alberta Chair, Paul Boskovich said, “We’re a very adaptable industry but we have certainly been challenged to evolve, innovate and adapt in this economic climate. As an industry, we have had to make some hard choices in terms of the scale of our operations and the scale of our projects. We have been able to move forward with leaner, innovative projects."
BILD Alberta Announces New Chair
October 9, 2020
BILD Alberta is pleased to announce that Paul Boskovich has been elected as BILD Alberta’s fourth Chair of the Association to serve a term of one year.
“Over the past few years, I have had the opportunity to work with a dedicated group of board members helping shape this young organization with a long and proud history. The next year will have its challenges as we face unprecedented times but together our industry is resilient. I look forward to continuing to further the association’s advocacy efforts and putting forward innovative solutions that will make our industry stronger,” said Boskovich.
Annual General Meeting, Award Winners, Advocacy Update & Housing Data
September 24, 2020
Progress on Priorities, Awards Ceremony - Save the Date & Housing Data
August 27, 2020
Award Finalists Announced, Advocacy Update & Housing Data
July 30, 2020
Prompt Payment & Conference Update
June 25, 2020
- Offsite Levies
- Inclusionary Housing
- City Charters
- Permit Timelines & Approvals
- Municipal Reserve Allocation & Use
- and more...
Advocacy Update & Housing Data
May 28, 2020
Through collaboration with local associations and the Government of Alberta, construction sites and project approvals have remained in place through the COVID-19 pandemic. The impact of this advocacy varies from member to member but it has reduced interest payments, cancelled contracts and preserved a significant number of jobs. While we continue to ensure sites stay open, advocacy efforts have...
Sharing Resources & Awards Website Now Open
April 30, 2020
While the world and our industry have changed over the past month and a half, the mission and work of BILD Alberta continues. Early on in this crisis our priorities shifted to ensuring construction sites remain open. As a result of BILD Alberta’s (and local associations’) strong relationships with government, and advocacy efforts, permits are still being processed and construction continues today...
Tips for Operating Worksites & Resources
March 31, 2020
Last week, in an ongoing effort to fight COVID-19, the Government of Alberta announced that all non-essential services must close. At this time, this does not include construction (including residential) as it has been identified as an essential service. As projects continue to move forward, it is important to remember that this could change at any time. For the latest information refer to government resources...