Getting Started & Entry Fees
Members belonging to more than one local BILD/CHBA/UDI have two options:
i) Compete as one company (must be same company name in each membership region) – Create ONE user profile, and then submit up to three entries in each category for each membership, provided that the entries are for projects in the corresponding local BILD/CHBA/UDI market area. The Company will be acknowledged as the parent company name only on all finalists and winning entries. Points for each placing entry in the competition will be combined for the respective Pinnacle award.
ii) Compete as individual companies – Create separate user profiles for each individual company entering the competition. Each company may submit up to three entries in each category for each membership, provided that the entries are for projects in the corresponding local BILD/CHBA/UDI market area. Points for each placing entry in the competition will not be combined for the respective Pinnacle award. The companies will compete against one another for the Pinnacle award.
Each entry is $185 (plus GST). Entries are not eligible for judging until payment is received. If BILD Alberta deems an entry ineligible prior to judging, the fee will be returned to the entrant, minus a $50 administration fee per entry. Payment is accepted by credit card (Visa and MasterCard) and cheque. You may add multiple submissions to your cart and checkout with one transaction.
FREE to enter Pinnacle, Safety Leadership, and Community Service award categories.
The Homeowner Permission Form must be completed and signed by the homeowner for all owner occupied homes entered in the competition. Showhomes or homes in the builders’ possession are not required to complete the form. Click here to download the Homeowner Permission Form.
Conditions & Requirements
Awards Program: In order for BILD Alberta to run an award program, the program must receive enough entries to stage a competition in 60% or more of the total categories (does not include Pinnacle Categories). To stage a competition, the housing, renovation and developer categories must have three entries from two different companies. For the 2021 program, this equals three entries in at least 23 of the 38 categories to run the program and awarding any winners.
Should an insufficient amount of entries be received within a category or for the entire program, BILD Alberta will refund the entry fees associated. All entries would remain eligible for re-submission for the following year.
- There must be a competition in 60% of the Single Family and Multi-family categories to award the Builder Pinnacle Award(s).
- There must be a competition in 60% of the Renovation categories to award the Renovation Pinnacle Award.
- There must be a competition in 60% of the Developer categories to award the Developer Pinnacle Award.
Membership: Only members of BILD Alberta as of December 31, 2020, are eligible to enter. All members are eligible to apply for categories based on their membership type. Builders are also eligible to apply in the renovator categories.
Only builders with a valid builder license at the time of award deadline are eligible to enter. License must be active at time of award ceremony.
Only renovators registered with Service Alberta as a prepaid contractor at the time of award deadline are eligible to enter. Registration must be active at time of award ceremony.
Good Standing: Only members in good standing throughout the competition are eligible to enter. A member in good standing is considered to be one with no outstanding invoices with BILD Alberta and to be in good standing with the local CHBA, UDI and BILD when finalists and winners are announced. Those not in good standing may be eliminated from the competition.
Eligible units (new or renovated) must be completed (ready for sale, rent, or occupancy) during the following periods:
- Single Family Awards (14 categories) – June 1, 2020 – May 15, 2021
- Multi-family Awards (6 categories) – June 1, 2020 – May 15, 2021
- Renovation Awards (6 categories) – June 1, 2020 – May 15, 2021
- Energy Efficiency Award (1 category) – June 1, 2019 – May 15, 2021 (2 year window)
- Developer Awards (5 categories) – June 1, 2019 – May 15, 2021 (2 year window) except New Community - June 1, 2020 - May 15, 2021
- Safety Leadership Awards (5 categories) - timeline to be used in answering the questions is June 1, 2020 to May 15, 2021. The responses should reflect initiatives during that timeframe and should not be copied from any previous entries. – FREE to Enter
- Community Service Award (1 category) - timeline to be used in answering the questions is June 1, 2020 to May 15, 2021. – FREE to Enter
Entering Online: Each entry must be made by creating an individual online entry, including the Pinnacle Awards. Pinnacle awards are free to enter with minimum entry requirements. Deadline for online submissions is Wednesday, May 26, 2021, at noon.
Location: Projects entered in the BILD Alberta Awards competition must be located in Alberta in the market area covered by the local BILD/CHBA/UDI where the entrant is a member.
Number of Entries: A MAXIMUM OF THREE (3) ENTRIES PER CATEGORY ARE ALLOWED PER MEMBER for each local membership. For example, if you are a member in Edmonton, your project(s) must be located within the area covered by CHBA – Edmonton or UDI Edmonton.
Authorization: Entries must be authorized by the home builder, professional renovator or developer member, including any entry submitted on their behalf by an authorized third party.
Legal: There cannot be any outstanding lawsuits and/or liens on any property entered in the competition.
Original Entries: Must be an original entry. Any entry previously made to the BILD Alberta Awards is not eligible. However, an entry using the same floor plan for a production home or multi-family dwelling unit may be submitted again for a home in a different location than the previous entry. In the case of a community development, an entry may be made for a new phase of the community providing that the entrant can demonstrate substantial differences in the new phase from phases entered previously.
Materials: All materials submitted become property of BILD Alberta. Entrants agree that BILD Alberta may use the information and material submitted for promotional purposes or in any manner the Association chooses. Information, project names/model/residence name and photographic images provided with the entry form may be used publicly by BILD Alberta on its website, social/digital media platforms and/or published or broadcasted by BILD Alberta or a third party at the discretion of the Association.
The BILD Alberta Awards judges will view and judge all submissions online. They rely 100% on the information you provide in your answers to the online entry questions, along with photographs, drawings and other materials that you upload.
- Competition is blind in all categories with the exception of the Developer Awards. Home builders and renovators are required to remove any reference to their company in all images and floor plans.
- Entries will be judged according to the criteria (answers to questions, images, uploaded plans, etc.) set out for each award.
- Entries will be handled in a confidential manner. Judges agree not to disclose information concerning entries.
- All information submitted online is considered complete. Incomplete entries will not be disqualified due to insufficient information and materials however may result in a deficient evaluation. Entrants will not be notified of missing components.
- A minimum of THREE entries (from two different companies) are required to stage a competition in each category.
- Additional documentation may be requested for verification.
- All decisions of the judges are final.
Specific information can also be found on the criteria and submission requirement PDF documents found on the award category page.
Images & Floor/Site Plans
Photographs have an impact on how judges see your entry and influence your final score. Photos should be of professional quality.
- Submit colour images that are 3000px wide and 300ppi for the perfect combination of fast upload times and file sizes large enough to view on the website, at the award ceremony and in printed material.
- The size upload limit is 5MB. Larger files cannot be uploaded.
- Photos are automatically renamed once uploaded.
- Image orientation can be horizontal or vertical.
- No major alterations to the photos (interior or exterior) are permitted. Colour correction is acceptable. Exceptions: Sales Centres may be covered up with a standard garage door only. Dirt can be covered with grass (no landscaping).
- Do not submit images that have borders, frames, logos, or watermarks.
- All logos should be removed from images.
- Detached garages are not to be included in any photos.
- Renderings are not permitted.
Renovators: When taking “before” and “after” pictures of a renovation, shoot from the same location or angle—this helps the judges understand the “transformation”. Before photos are encouraged to be black & white to further differentiate them from the after.
Floor Plans and Site Plans
- Floor plans and site plans must be uploaded in a PDF format no larger than 5 MB.
- Upload simple plans – the same kind you would provide to clients on your website.
- Do not include elevations or renderings.
- All logos should be removed from documents.
- If your plans are on more than one page, combine them into a single PDF document and upload all together.
Hints & Tips
Here are a few words of advice from the organizers and judges to help you to prepare a winning entry, and to know what pitfalls to avoid.
- Use bullets or point form in the text boxes – easier for you to write and easier for the judges to understand.
- Word counts are the maximum only – don’t feel obligated to meet the word count limit with each question. It’s much better to be concise in your answers.
- More entries = better odds. Increase your chances of winning the Pinnacle Award by entering as many categories as possible. The more you win, the better you’ll do.
- You can also go back and edit your entry up until the deadline. If you know that you will be submitting an entry close to the entry date for whatever reason, it is strongly recommended that you prepare your entry using a Word doc. That way, if you have computer glitches, your work will at least be saved.
- Give yourself enough time to take your time and double-check the entry before you submit it.
When will the Awards platform be open for submission?
The platform will open in late April. All members subscribed to our newsletter will be notified.
When is the deadline?
Entries will be accepted until Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at noon.
Can I enter my project if I am not a member of the local BILD/CHBA/UDI in the area in which the project is located?
No. Being able to enter a project in the BILD Alberta Awards is a benefit of membership. Therefore, you should contact the local BILD/CHBA/UDI in the area in which your project is located and give consideration to membership.
Can I enter my project if it is located in an area not served by any local BILD/CHBA/UDI?
Yes. If there is no local BILD/CHBA/UDI where the project is located in Alberta, you may still enter it if you are a BILD Alberta member.
Are projects located outside Alberta eligible for the BILD Alberta Awards?
Are renderings acceptable as image uploads?
No. Renderings are only accepted where specified on the category document.
Can logos be on images and floor plans?
No logos can appear in any images or floor plans and may result in disqualification. This competition is blind competition for all categories with the exception of the developer award categories.
I’ve got two great projects/homes in the same category. Can I enter both of them?
Yes. You are able to enter up to three projects/homes per category for each local BILD/CHBA/UDI membership. Projects are to correspond to the market area served by the local BILD/CHBA/UDI. If you were to have two local CHBA memberships, you could enter three projects (x2) in each category for the market areas covered by your two local CHBA memberships.
What do you consider a Multi-family?
All units built as a part of a multi-family project must be entered in Multi-family categories. This includes duplexes, townhomes, and apartment-style condominiums which all share at least one common wall. Definition for each product is as follows:
- DUPLEX – semi-detached homes (two units attached)
- TOWNHOME – three or more attached homes
- APARTMENT – four or more attached homes with common entrance
If they do not share a common wall they must be entered into the appropriate Single Family category. Secondary suites are not eligible for individual submission.
Where can I enter an infill home?
Infill homes must be entered into the appropriate infill category. They cannot be entered in the single family categories.
If the home is still in the builder’s possession do I need to submit a homeowner permission form?
No, you are not required to submit a homeowner permission form.
What should be included in the renovation cost?
To determine which category your renovation should be entered into, the cost of the renovation must include your estimate of the dollar value of any materials the homeowner self-supplied (e.g. kitchen appliances).
Can I enter a kitchen or bathroom renovation in the Kitchen and Bathroom categories, and also enter them as part of a Whole House submission?
Can I enter a basement renovation?
Yes, you can enter it into the Renovator's Choice category.
Award Finalists & Winners
BILD Alberta continues to monitor the group gather restrictions due to COVID. We will host the awards online if an in-person event does not happen.
Finalists will be notified via email in late July. Winners will be announced during an Award Ceremony in September.